Are you someone who can provide excellent attention to detail and is willing to provide outstanding customer service and patient care? If so, by working as a pharmacy assistant alongside a pharmacy technician and/or, a registered pharmacist, you would play an essential role in a healthcare team. Read more to find out the Pharmacy Assistant Program in Toronto
What is a Pharmacy Assistant?
A pharmacy assistant works under the supervision of a registered pharmacist. Pharmacy assistants assist with drug dispensing by compounding, measuring, packaging and distributing medications. Moreover, Pharmacy Assistants provide customer service, do clerical work and other administrative tasks like updating patient files, processing billing details and insurance claims etc.
What does a Pharmacy Assistant do?
A pharmacy Assistant can help assist and process prescriptions for customers under the direction of a Licensed Pharmacist or a Pharmacy Technician. A Pharmacy Assistant is also responsible for clerical and administrative duties in a Pharmacy
What skills a Pharmacy Assistant need?
In Order to become a successful Pharmacy Assistant, you need to be
- Able to provide good customer service
- Excellent communication skills
- Good Knowledge of Computer
- Team Player
- Responsible for your work
- Understanding Federal, state and Local Laws related to Pharmacy
Duties and Responsibilities of a Pharmacy Assistant
- Answer phones and direct calls to the respective team member
- Maintain patient files and records
- Providing Customer Service
- Referring customers to a Pharmacist if a need for a Medical Advice
- Create Prescription Labels
- Filing Paperwork for Pharmacy
- Maintain inventory Levels on a Daily or weekly basis
- Arrange for customers to speak with pharmacists if they have questions or concerns
- Place orders for pharmaceuticals, equipment and supplies
- Arrange and Package shipments to patients
- Maintain drug storage and monitor any risk
What is the difference between Pharmacy Assistant and Pharmacy Technician?
A Pharmacy Assistant helps the pharmacists with drug dispensing, answer customer queries and maintain inventory and perform other clerical duties. On the other hand, a Pharmacy Technician also perform the same duties as a Pharmacy Assistant but have more responsibilities like
– Having “signing authority” on all new and refill prescriptions
– Accept verbal prescriptions and provide prescription transfers
– Responsible and Accountable for Technical technical aspects of prescription
– Can receive, prepare and do a final check on a drug to ensure everything is right
Now, we will compare the Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay and Salary across the different provinces in Canada
How much does a Pharmacy Assistant make in Canada?
Note: The source of the Medical Laboratory Technician salary information is from Payscale
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Toronto, Ontario
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Toronto is CAD $15.28
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Toronto is CAD $39,999
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Brampton, Ontario
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Brampton is CAD $14.37
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Hamilton, Ontario
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Hamilton is CAD $15.14
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Hamilton is CAD $42,907
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Mississauga, Ontario
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Mississauga is CAD $14.98
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Mississauga is CAD $42,000
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Thunder Bay, Ontario
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Thunder Bay is CAD $14.87
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Kingston, Ontario
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Kingston is CAD $14.02
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Barrie, Ontario
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Barrie is CAD $15.14
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in London, Ontario
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in London is CAD $15.15
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Windsor, Ontario
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in London is CAD $14.95
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Ottawa, Ontario
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Ottawa is CAD $14.66
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Ottawa is CAD $35,000
How much does a pharmacy assistant make in bc (British Columbia)
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Vancouver, British Columbia
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Vancouver is CAD $15.43
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Surrey, British Columbia
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Surrey is CAD $15.42
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Kelowna, British Columbia
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Kelowna is CAD $17.53
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Victoria, British Columbia
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Kelowna is CAD $14.63
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Manitoba
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Winnipeg, Manitoba
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Winnipeg is CAD $15.23
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Winnipeg is CAD $41,712
Pharmacy Assistant pay in Alberta
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Edmonton, Alberta
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Edmonton is CAD $16.97
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Edmonton is CAD $44,430
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Calgary, Alberta
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Calgary is CAD $15.89
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Calgary is CAD $37,000
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Saskatchewan
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Regina, Saskatchewan
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Regina is CAD $13.80
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in saskatoon Saskatchewan
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Saskatoon is CAD $14.69
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in New Brunswick
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Moncton, New Brunswick
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Moncton is CAD $15.31
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Nova Scotia
Pharmacy Assistant Salary in Halifax, Nova Scotia
– The Average Pharmacy Assistant Hourly Pay in Halifax is CAD $14.35
How old do you have to be to be a pharmacy assistant?
As per the requirements of Pharma-Medical Science College of Canada, applicants must have a Grade 12 level or a university degree or a science college diploma and demonstrated competency in English. After completing the Pharmacy Assistant program, you can work as a pharmacy assistant
What do you need to be a Pharmacy Assistant?
1. Get more information about this field and job prospects
Complete your research about what being a Pharmacy Assistant is and what does the Pharmacy Assistant does including roles and responsibilities. Check out the job opportunities and job market for the Pharmacy Assistant field.
2. Search Pharmacy Assistant Program in Toronto
Search for a Pharmacy training course or Pharmacy Assistant Program. Choose a program that has a flexible schedule and can provide work placement to kickstart your pharmacy assistant career. For Example, Pharma-Medical College offers a pharmacy assistant program which may be suitable for you.
3. Finish your Pharmacy Assistant Program in Toronto
Once you finish your Pharmacy Assistant program, you will get the education and necessary skills to start your career as a Pharmacy Assistant. At Pharma-Medical College, students study a combination of theoretical and practical training such as
– Get theoretical Knowledge and practical training so that you will be job-ready
– Learn drug and medical terminologies, pharmacy math, toxicology, pharmacy computer dispensing system, dosage forms, etc.
– Learn what software Pharmacists use in Drug Store like Kroll and how to use it to make you job-ready
4. Get Hands-on experience working as a Pharmacy Assistant
After completing your theoretical studies, you will get a chance to work as a pharmacy assistant in community drug stores like Shoppers’ Drug Mart, Rexall Pharma-Plus, Costco Pharmacy, Walmart Pharmacy Etc to get Hands-on practice
Where can I find a pharmacy assistant course?
You can study the Pharmacy Assistant program at Pharma-Medical College. We have 2 locations:
Toronto: 505 Consumers Road, Suite 100, Toronto, ON M2J 4V8
Etobicoke: 2 Billingham Road, Etobicoke, ON M9B 6E1
Pharmacy Assistant Job Toronto
After graduating from the Pharmacy Assistant Program, you can work on a position in any of these fields listed below
– Hospital Drug Store
– Community Drug Store
– Drug Distribution Company/ Agency
– Nursing Home
– Repacking Pharmaceuticals Industry
Pharma-Medical College helps graduates to find a job as a Pharmacy Assistant
Pharmacy Assistant Job Description Canada
This is a Pharmacy Assistant Sample Job Description
Job Title: Pharmacy Assistant
Assist Licenced Pharmacists in the preparation and dispensing of medications to customers, impatiens, healthcare providers, outpatients, etc.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
– Request new prescriptions from Physicians if necessary
– Assist in dispensing and preparation of medications
– Count and label medications and give to patients as directed
– Input prescription order information when received
– Prepare billing information for customers
– Answer customer questions and queries effectively
– Maintain patient information in the system
– Perform administrative and clerical duties like answering phone calls, input prescription orders, maintain inventory and cash register
Job Skills and Qualifications
High School Diploma or GED, previous experience working in a Pharmacy, Team player, excellent customer service and communication skills, mathematics skills, computer knowledge, multi-tasking, etc.
Pharmacy Assistant Program in Toronto
If you are looking forward to studying Pharmacy Assistant Program then Pharma-Medical College is the right place where you can start your Pharmacy Assistant career. We have a lot of experience in Medical and Healthcare and do provide work placement to students. So if you want to study Pharmacy Assistant Program, Pharma-Medical College is the one-stop destination for you
Will I get a Job after studying the Pharmacy Assistant Program?
Pharma-Medical College offers work placement in the program so students can get Hands-On practice working as a Pharmacy Assistant. Gather all the necessary skills which will help you in your job search. We help in resume writing and interview preparation for students so graduates can excel in their careers.
Can I study the Pharmacy Assistant Program Online?
Yes! You can study the Medical Laboratory Technician Program online. Our Medical Laboratory Technician program is temporarily being offered remotely due to COVID-19. You can call us for any inquiry and we will be happy to assist you – +1 416 821 4876 / 1 877 872 4835. For more information, please visit our website
I want to Study the Medical Laboratory Technician Program? What should I do?
Visit Pharma-Medical College. We are located at
– 505 Consumers Road, Suite 100, Toronto, ON M2J 4V8
– 2 Billingham Road, Etobicoke, ON M9B 6E1